Acclaim for Amalie Jahn
Why are Amalie Jahn's books listed among the Top 50 Independently Published books by Readfree.ly?
- "A lovely, tear-jerking tale of time travel, familial love, and sacrifice... This poignant, well-written story puts mortality--and readers' reactions to it--front and center." - Kirkus Reviews
- "Narrator Lorelei King beautifully captures the wide emotional range and unforgettable characters in this utterly fascinating story of time travel, the first in the award-winning Clay Lion series. When Brooke Wallace's beloved younger brother dies of pulmonary fibrosis, she decides to use her one government-approved trip to go back in time to try to reverse his illness and prevent his death. King demonstrates the warm relationships of the Wallace family members and flawlessly expresses Brooke's emotions as she embarks on her mission. Listeners will be deeply moved as she maintains her religious faith and learns from the events that befall her family."- S.G.B. © AudioFile 2015, Portland, Maine [Published: DECEMBER 2015]
- "... painfully heartwarming. The plot is thought provoking, the setting is enduring, the conflict is penetrating, and the characterization extraordinary." -Starred Review, Readers' Favorite
- "A gripping read that will simultaneously break your heart and warm it." -Literary Classics, 5 Stars, Seal of Approval & Gold Medal
- "In Amalie Jahn's tale about destiny and sibling love, older sister Brooke risks everything and everyone she loves to try and save the life of her younger brother. An early lesson in loyalty, protection, and unbreakable faith among siblings." -Bustle, 11 Books That'll Teach Prince George to Be a Great Older Brother
- "... a young adult masterpiece. The profound truths present in this book are subtly woven into a tale of adventure mixed with love. A must-read for anyone and everyone, but especially for those, young and old, who are coping with loss." -Starred Review, Reader's Favorite
- "... a unique and satisfying coming of age tale with a science fiction premise that works quite well." - Starred Review, Readers' Favorite
- "Jahn's clear writing style and crisp pace treats the heavy emotional load with grace and ease. Brooke emerges as a wounded, but ultimately well-rounded character that you can really cheer for." -Killarny Traynor, ACFW member
- Named one of the "Best Kids Books for Blossoming Bibliophiles" by The Plus Side - "Open your child's eyes to the wonders of fiction with this tale of Brooke Wallace... Your child will bond with these characters and their struggles and squabbles."
- Named one of the "13 Books That'll Make You Feel Like a Kid Again" by Bustle - "If you loved A Wrinkle in Time, then read The Clay Lion by Amalie Jahn. Both novels' success centers on the endurance of sibling bonds and explore time travel as a means of recalibrating a painful and inexplicable loss."
- 5/5 Stars: "This is an amazing book. The time travel piece is very realistic. The events that happen - you get so caught up in them... they feel really true." -One Minute Books
- "... raises some fascinating and worth questions about regrets, missed opportunities, second chances, and destiny. Written with charm and emotional wisdom which is hugely rewarding and captivating." -Christoph Fischer, Amazon Top 500 Reviewer
A Sample of Reader Reviews
"This book is an amazing read. It is another impressive novel that consumed my every thought until I finished it. The characters are so well entwined and become part of your life."
"Amalie Jahn is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors! This book is a page-turner. Well-written and clearly well-researched, this book is solid. The plot is riveting and the author creates a reader/character connection that is worth a mention. Write another one please, Ms. Jahn!"
"I'd definitely suggest The Clay Lion to all ages of readers and for book group discussions. So many layers of delving into the strength of the sibling relationship between Brooke and Branson that can be compared and contrasted on many levels."
"The real strength of the novel is the emotion brought out by the personal struggles Brooke experiences. Themes of love, loss and guilt are masterfully incorporated and will keep you reading this novel over and over."
"I can't believe this is the author's first novel.. Her ability to story tell is beyond amazing. Truly a beautiful, thought provoking, comforting and inspiring story... Can't wait for more from this so very talented writer."
"What a lovely break from the cynical and satirical books I've been reading all summer. This author had the courage to write something heartfelt and true in a way I did not find heavy handed or saccharine. It was refreshing to read about everyday people with everyday relationships I could recognize as authentic. The writing is earnest in the best possible sense of the word, and the book would also be enjoyable for younger readers. Highly recommend!"
"This was truly one of the most captivating novels I have ever read--very difficult to put down!"
"Somewhere within the story, the reader begins to revisit their own feelings about life regrets and unresolved losses. The author carefully creates a storyline that leads the main character (and the reader) to a peaceful resolution. I recommend this book for those who love to think 'outside the box.'"
"I love how the author brings the characters to life while sharing a story of love, loyalty, fate, and a little sci-fi thrown in."
"I realized that through stories like The Clay Lion, we get lessons in life, we get help in coping with our battles, and best of all, we find out that we are not alone."
"Awesome book for anyone who likes to read! The author did an excellent job at painting a real and relatable story, even making time travel seem completely plausible. I read the book in no time flat and never felt the need to put it down!"
"I could not put this book down. The complicated plot line flowed so smoothly without any inconsistencies. It was a beautiful story with a very nice closure. Well done! This book is an absolute must-read."
"Invigoratingly original! The Clay Lion refuses to color in the lines of genre - it delicately uses science fiction elements to tell a relatable human interest story. The characters and plot are extremely well thought-out, and the emotional hooks are carefully and artfully placed. All in all, it's a well-crafted story set in a well-crafted universe, presented and structured in an imaginative and unique way. Get this book!"
"The Clay Lion reminds us how we are woven together in a tapestry that is far greater than ourselves and the importance of loving and living fully. Ms. Jahn is a gifted writer and I look forward to gobbling up her next work."
"As I neared the end of the book, I really felt so much for the characters that I found myself going from goosebumps to tears, and still continue to think about them since I've finished. I felt left with a beautiful, quiet comfort and thank the author for sharing such an inspired work with us!"
"The characters and their relationships were so engrossing that I found myself wishing that I could read faster so that I could find out what was going to happen to them."
"I was engrossed and couldn't put it down until I finished. I felt joy, sorrow, and surprise throughout, and was still thinking about the characters as if I knew them long after I finished."
"The Clay Lion by Amalie Jahn is a moving story that considers how love flows through our lives and what happens when we try to change its direction. Great characters, a well-paced plot, and plenty of touching moments. Overall, a lovely read."
"The Clay Lion is an exceptionally creative and engaging emotional roller-coaster of a story with intertwining themes of love lost, budding romance, and coming of age self-realization. The characters are so well developed that you will unknowingly create a lasting empathetic bond with them that will make you smile, smirk, laugh and cry as you connect with their lives from cover to cover. And the ending will leave you with a feeling of mollifying contentment, only wanting and waiting for the next story from this talented author. It's a must read!"
"Amalie Jahn has a compelling way of writing which makes this book very hard to put down from the first page to the last."
"This was fantastic novel. The characters were interesting and I felt connected to them almost immediately. I could feel what they were feeling as if I were in the novel with them."
"The author does a truly outstanding job of creating someone with enough flaws to be completely believable and balanced, but not so many that you don't want to fall in love with her and root for her."
"The Clay Lion is a must read!! This book weaves a fantastic story about time travel, sibling relationships, and fate. I could barely put the book down. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a great read!!"
"A poignant look into the age old question after a tragedy, "How could I have stopped this?!?"
"I enjoyed this book so much and couldn't put it down. The story was so heartwarming and captivating. I am recommending to all my friends as a must-read for this summer!"
"The characters are amazing, the story line is compelling, and overall it is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I read a lot and very rarely do I have a book such as this."
"WOW. An amazing read. I couldn't put this book down. I felt every heartbeat, every heart ache, every rush of adrenaline of every character."
"What a wonderful book! It's not often I have a book that I just can't put down at night. Sleep usually trumps extended reading for me, but that was not the case with this story. I found myself really caught up in the story and the time-travel concept. I have lost some hours of sleep this week and it was well worth it! The characters are beautifully developed. The way time-travel works in this book has stayed with me as well. I find myself thinking about whether I would use my trip, and where and when I would use it."
"This book is phenomenal! I have not read a book of this caliber in many years and cannot wait for the next one!"
"The Clay Lion is beautifully written with such care and passion -- this novel shines!! The story is timeless and suited for everyone! I am filled with a lingering sadness that this book is over. I hope there will be more!!"
"Amalie weaves a story so tightly crafted that it is nearly impossible to set down once you begin reading. While a tragic subject matter, the strength and courage of the main characters become the crux of this story from it's beginning. I felt an immediate connection to Mia, Thomas, and Kate, and the interweaving of their stories is expertly done. It is a page turner, and will not leave it's readers disappointed."
"The telling is concise without unnecessary filler and tidy in that each thread of the story connects and each detail has a purpose. The Clay Lion is an elegant first work for the author and I look forward to more stories by Ms. Jahn. I highly recommend this book."
"It is a well written, heartwarming novel that will leave you with very positive feelings.
Highly recommended. Great first novel. Looking forward to many more."
"I LOVED this book! It was a quick read with a perfectly moving plot. It was different than I had imagined but far better. By the end I felt like I knew the characters, and since reading it I still find myself thinking about them and their circumstances, as if they are real people I know. I highly recommend this book, but be sure to set aside some time to read it all at once because you won't be able to put it down!"
"But what impressed me most when I finished the book was how much I actually cared about her characters, because that doesn't happen very often for me."
"The Clay Lion is heartfelt, sad, beautiful, and completely engrossing!"